Thursday 19 August 2010

Nappi lives here


Nappi was really my sister's teddy but since we both discarded him in turn, he's been adopted by my father and his wife.

When he first arrived in the family he was larger than my one-year-old sister. Older, but too young to understand the importance of this furry friend, we two naughty sisters decided the name of the teddy, Nappi (Button in English) should be permanently engraved on his paw with felt tip pen, lest anyone should forget it. Which one of us gouged his eye out, or left him with just the one ear, I'm not sure. Neither do I remember the doll he's now been put in charge of.

In his old age Nappi gets doggy bags from restaurants, cards from abroad and is generally better cared for than either my sister or I managed. 'He's easier to leave than a dog would be,' says my step-mother. But I'm not convinced. He gazes me with great sadness from his vantage point on the top of the wardrobe as I sit up in bed writing this.

6 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

We have Wilmont, our monkey. But we don't leave him at home when we travel. He comes with us!

Unknown said...

I think Nappi is just that bit too large for hand luggage! xx

Anonymous said...

I once lost Chimpy, the monkey I've had since pointing to it longingly in an Edinburgh department store window when I was one, on a family holiday to France.
Luckily, when we retraced our steps two weeks later the hoteliers had remembered me and kept him safe in the hope I'd return. If they hadn't, I'd have been traumatised for life! Hell, I still am, just by the sheer though of what might have been!
So, when my fiance and I started out on our year long trip to New Zealand, I left Chimpy safe and sound at home, tucked up much like Nappi.
I don't think you ever grow out of your childhood comforts...

Metropolitan Mum said...

He's clearly giving you the guilt trip. Stop staring, Nappi, or she'll get the felt tip pen out again!

Imogen said...

My "childhood comfort" Aussie still sits on top of my linen basket, looking, as he always did, brooding and morose. He still has both eyes and both ears, but only one hand...

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.vipoutletnorthface.com/]north face outlet[/url] with an investor (the publisher). Once you understand the true nature with http://www.uggbootss.com/#c895 is always a good idea. For example, a fleece jacket can be used as an No matter, you could be ascending the especially large batch, ski or perhaps [url=http://www.northfaceclearancej.com/denali-hoodie-loganberry-pink-discount-north-face-womens-clearances-166.html]cheap north face clearance[/url]