Monday 28 March 2011

Marimekko at Helsinki airport

I had a few hours to kill at Helsinki between my flights recently and although many of the shops were shut due to a refurbishment of the terminal, Marimekko was still open for business.

I've written before how I love this label more now than I ever did living in Finland, so whenever I'm back at home I always end up buying something to take to England.

This time my eyes caught an unusual item to be shopping for when heading for Lapland: a sunhat. But I couldn't resist; besides I've been borrowing the Englishman's straw one bought on a 'hat run' in Corfu long enough (five years at least).

The Englishman's straw hat as worn by me in Corfu. Sharing a hat on holiday is tricky...


The sun was flooding into the lounge from the large windows today so I managed to make this self-portrait look a little summery.
My new Marimekko hat is something very different. It's made out of one of their vintage prints, it has a wide brim (good for preventing those harmful sun rays from hitting my face), it folds for easy packing, and it is fairly rare outside the Nordic countries so it won't be worn by anyone else on the poolside, say - this is wishful thinking now - in Soho Beach House in Miami.


This hat is so easy to travel with because it takes no room at all in a suitcase.

The second item I bought at the airport shop was a little more practical. I've had a classic red Marimekko holdall, made from heavy-duty cotton fabric, since I was a teenager. It's looking a little faded and worn-out now (I wash the bag in the machine although the label recommends hand washing). Hence I thought it was time for a replacement. Also, Daughter has borrowed the old one - what I consider worn out she calls vintage.

The updated version is a little larger and can be worn over the shoulder or across the body. I think this bag will hold everything I could possibly need for a weekend away. OK, that's a lie - I may just about get away with this bag for an overnight stay. 



There's a zip as well as two magnetic poppers. There's also a small side pocket inside with a zip.




My two purchases 

The bag comes in various prime colours. I was very tempted with a black one, but felt I should keep to the same colour as my old holdall. Besides, I love red anyway. Marimekko still sell the classic holdalls Peruskassi too; the ladies at the airport shop told me they'll never stop making them. Good old Marikmekko know their market.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolute love that sunhat and it looks great on you!

How much was it? I might have to send my Finnish family on a hat shopping mission...

Wildernesschic said...

Oh God I love the hat.. I am such a hat girl.. I have a trilby type also protective against UV rays .. from Orvis its a mans hat ..I wear it all summer xx No were near as stylish as yours xx

Unknown said...

You've got me Mette! I really can't remember...

Ruth, I'm planning to wear the hat with my black maxi skirt & flip flops. Pray for summery weather in NW3!

Helena xx

Tree said...

Best hat and bag ever!

I have a black/white stripe Marimekko umbrella, also purchased at Helsinki-Vantaa airport, that makes rainy days in New England a bit more Finnish!

That's Not My Age said...

That's a very fine hat - I'm a big Marimekko fan myself, I like their stripey t-shirts and we have some lovely patterned crockery.

Jaana said...

Love the bag and the hat! Have the same pattern on my new Marimekko umbrella bought at the same shop!

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

That is a gorgeous hat! It looks great on you xx