Wednesday 20 July 2011

London Life: Shakespeare's Globe Theatre

Eve Best as Beatrice in Much Ado About Noting at The Globe. Picture: The Guardian
I'm sure most tourists who come to London go and visit the lovingly rebuilt Globe Theatre when in town. I am, therefore, quite ashamed that until yesterday I hadn't even been inside this important landmark of British (theatre) history.

Yesterday with a little help from the Englishman who booked the tickets, I righted this wrong. We saw Much Ado About Nothing in a matinee performance. Although the Englishman's motives may not have been wholly pure - he told me during the interval that Eve Best (star of Nurse Jackie) would have to go on his approved list - I must really thank him for his foresight.  (What you ask is the approved list? Well, for instance if George Clooney offered me a tumble in the hay, it'd be OK by the Englishman as he's on my 'approved list'. Like that's going to happen...)

The matinee performance was absolutely heaving; there wasn't a free seat in the house. Even the erratic British summer weather hadn't put people off this partly outdoor venue.

A full review of the play is here on my other site. I recommend you book to see a play by Shakespeare at The Globe if you haven't yet - it's not cheap but not terribly expensive either. We paid £79-00 for two tickets right at the front of the third tier balcony. The atmosphere alone is worth it - when you add the historical significance of watching the master's work in the surroundings he designed, it could only be called priceless. The season runs from April to early October.

No comments: