Thursday 11 August 2011

Nordic food: my dirty little secret

It makes me laugh when I hear people in the UK talk about how healthy Nordic and Scandinavian food is. It's true that large part of our daily diet consists of fish and raw vegetables, but at the same time a lot of people eat fat, salty meats, sausages and creamy salads. A case in point was our lunch today.


I just remembered to take a photo before I'd scoffed the lot....

When I come on holiday here to Ă…land I cannot resist some of the things that I used to eat as a child.  The stuff my mother cooks for us is mostly low in fat and carbs and high in home grown vegetables, but if I get to go food shopping, I veer towards the old fashioned ready made ‘bad’ stuff. So our quick lunch today consisted of: nakkies (small sausages), sweet pickled gherkins, Italian beetroot salad, local cheese and rye bread. All washed down with Swedish lager. 

This may sound perfectly healthy until you start to read the list of ingredients…there are high quantities of salt and sugar in everything, plus the fat content of the sausages is sky high. 

Just as well I’m on holiday only for a week this time.  

2 comments:

VEG said...

And yet....it still sounds DELICIOUS. :)

Style At Every Age said...

Yummy, I quite fancy that, I love sausages and cheese and just about anything else....