While going through some old files today I came across a note which, for years, was stuck to the fridge door in our old house. I think I posted The House Rules one day when coming home from work, tired, and finding the kitchen a mess, with several teenagers lounging in the TV room oblivious to my arrival. Or to anything, really.
You can tell I start the note being fairly calm and get more frustrated as I go on, thinking about all the things that need doing in the house.
Here's the transcript:
Everyone's Duties - House Rules
1. Keep decks clear (you can tell I was a naval wife once upon a time...)
2. Always make sure there is a plastic bag lining any dustbin.
3. Empty your laundry basket.
4. Use your laundry basket.
5. Put dishes into dishwasher.
6. Put dishwasher on if full.
7. Empty clean dishwasher - somebody has to do it!
8. Keep kitchen tidy!
9. Don't collect dirty glasses & mugs & crockery in your room - it breeds bacteria.
10. Under the bed is not a large cupboard...
In our new flat there's no need for rules as it's mostly just the Englishman and me here. Now I almost miss those days of a house-full of floppy youngsters, always hungry, always tired, leaving a trail of crockery and dirty washing behind them...actually, come to think of it, I don't at all!