Friday 8 February 2013

Jazz and Swing in North London


Photo: BBC 
I've been loving the new BBC Two drama, Dancing on Edge directed by Stephen Poliakoff and starring the fantastic Chiwetel Eijofor and Matthew Goode, among other big stars. It's a story of a jazz and swing band in 1930's London, and the acting, direction, plot and above all the music have really impressed me.

So when I had an email  from the wonderful Jazz and Swing band Down for the Count that they will be at The Music Palace in Crouch End this Friday (today, sorry for the last minute notice), I immediately had an image in my head from Dancing on Edge and thought I must go. I had a fantastic evening when this talented group of musicians performed as part of the Crouch End Festival last year. Plus the venue is but a hop and a skip from where we live, so even if there's snow, I am confident we can make it!

Today, the event will also include a dance lesson, which I am sort of dreading, because I love dancing but find it incredibly difficult to follow a pre-designated set of steps…we'll see how it all goes!? Talk about dancing on edge...I will report back if I dare…


No comments: