Tuesday 2 June 2015

Want to hear me speak in Finnish?



I was asked some time ago to do an interview for the School of Slavonic and East European Studies at University College London. Afterwards, I promptly forgot about it, until today when I came across the email exchange about the Language Trail project.

I don't usually like listening to myself (and here I go on a bit), because I sound like a high-pitched girl rather than a grown-up woman. So I was surprised how deep my voice seemed here. Perhaps it's the language - Finnish is spoken a few octaves lower than English? Or perhaps this is just another sign of old age. (Probably the latter. Oh my).

Whatever the case, here is the whole interview, where I talk in Finnish about my work at Finn-Guild, about how I came to be in England, and about my novel, The Englishman.

2 comments:

Alison Cross said...

I was in Italy on an art tour in April and one of my fellow travellers was Finnish. I can now swear in Finnish. Always handy, I find :-D

Unknown said...

Alison, that is indeed a useful talent! Although Finns also understand the meaning of silence. Very few people do, I find. X