Saturday 19 December 2009

My Christmas

One of my favourite bloggers Chic Mama did this on her blog and I couldnt resit taking part...

What you're supposed to do is to copy this entire post and paste into a new post on your blog. Change all the answers so that they apply to you.This is not a Meme or a Tag. You simply play along if you wish to. Or just read the answers!

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper every time. I even wrap a bag that comes from a shop ready to give. More is more.

2. Real tree or Artificial? It has to be a real fir tree. If only I could still have real candles on it too as we did when I was a little girl in Finland.

3. When do you put up the tree? Christmas Eve. Never before. It's a Finnish thing.

4. When do you take the tree down? 12th Night. Because we don't put the tree up until Christmas, we like to keep it as long as possible.

5. Do you like eggnog? Have never had it...so don't know...

6. Favorite gift received as a child? A baby doll that could drink. It was a sad moment when I found out it was the bottle that LOOKED like it was emptying.

7. Hardest person to buy for? Mother-in-law. She says she never wants anything but I want to make her happy on Christmas Day as it's also her birthday.

8. Easiest person to buy for? Daughter. I love all the things she likes, all the clothes, shoes, handbags, make-up, cashmere socks...ok I'll have to stop now otherwise I might give away what I've got her this year.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? No, never have. I'm a bad mother and a very bad Lutheran. (Lapsed)

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Both. Horses for courses.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Knickers from my mother-in-law on my first Christmas in England when I didn't know the family very well. Highly embarrassing to open packet in front of everyone. I didn't realise this was the done thing in the UK. It's not in Finland.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Muppets Christmas Carol. And I don't approve of re-makes.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? As late as possible. I am the worst. I have to be in the mood and early, before the lights go on everywhere and the canned music plays in the shops, I just cannot even think about buying any presents.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No, I just couldn't.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Gravad Lax. And all the Finnish Christmas food: ham, swede bake, carrot bake, Karelian stew, beetroot salad. I can't wait. Oh, and I do like our English Christmas too with turkey & and all vegetables cooked to perfection by Husband.

16. Lights on the tree? Of course. White. Not flashing. Please, no.

17. Favorite Christmas song? The Last Christmas by Wham. (I share this with Chic Mama - great minds...)

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Home in England or home in Finland.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Er, no.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star definitely.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Finnish presents on Christmas Eve after dinner according to our Finnish Christmas tradition, all others on Christmas Day morning along with a glass of champagne, in our dressing gowns in front of the fire. (I'm going to miss this house).

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Weather. Either it's cold and rainy or cold and snowy. In which case the country goes into panic mode. When, oh when, will the English learn that it snows every year?

23. Favorite ornament, theme, or color? Stars. White and silver.

24. Favorite for Christmas Dinner? See above. Fish and ham for Finnish Christmas, turkey for the English one.

25. What do you want to do for Christmas this year? A surprise. (Santa Baby, hope you're reading)

26. Favorite Christmas tradition growing up? Walking to church through freshly fallen snow, returning cold & hungry to a table laden with fantastic food, then having your father turn his sherling coat inside out and pretend to be Father Christmas. The amount of presents seemed endless, even though I know it can't have been because we were far from rich when I was growing up.

27. Favorite tradition now? Having two Christmases. I complain every year about all the work, but as my family know, I love it. Absolutely love it.

28. Favorite Christmas Memory? I can't reveal this, as it will be in the next part of 'How I came to be in England.' Sorry.

4 comments:

one of 365 said...

LOVE the pic!! AWWW ;) As a Jewish girl who has always envied Christmas, I am jealous of your lovely traditions. I too, HATE fake trees. The lovely smell of pine is delicious! I also LOVE white bulbs not the colored ones (tacky!). I can't believe you've never had egg-nog---YUM! Creepy knickers story=re: mum in law (what was she thinking!). Can't wait to read your installment about x-mas and How I Came To England....tres excited! Anyway---Merry Xmas Helena! xoxoxoxoxo

Chic Mama said...

Loved reading your answers. Wow putting the tree up on Christmas eve must make it all the more exciting but also a lot of work on such a busy day. I used to be so intrigued about the milk disappearing in my doll's bottle too. Look forward to reading next installment. X

Wildernesschic said...

Thanks for the idea Helena loved reading all your answers its funny how we all have our own "style" of Christmas.. cant wait for the next installment of your story xx

Style At Every Age said...

I really must do this aswell. It is so lovely to hear other peoples stories xx