Saturday 14 January 2012

Presidential elections in Finland


I ventured all the way out to Belgravia from Northwest London this morning to carry out an important national duty: to vote in the first round of elections to select a new president for Finland. It was a beautifully sunny day and for once the Embassy on Chesham Place was teaming with my countrymen. What a lovely sight it was to see so many turn up to do their bit! Many of those in the long queue were also young people, which was doubly pleasing.


Though I don't usually make any political points on this blog, I am sure most of my Finnish readers will agree that it is important to keep the (so called!) True Finns out of the Presidential Palace in Helsinki. It would be disastrous if the six-year tenure fell into the hands of a party with such extreme right-wing policies.

Lets all hope for a sensible choice from the Finnish people.

No comments: